Post Op Days 2-5

Everyday seems to be a little bit better. My pain is still more of a soreness than a pain. I showered on Post Op day 2 and that about near killed me. I took a 3 hour nap after. It's just been an adjustment getting use to everyday simple tasks taking so much longer. And realizing that every move you make uses your stomach muscles. Laughing is the most pain. I can literally feel my stitches bulging when I laugh.

The mornings have been the hardest for me. I wake up feeling really light headed. After I eat some breakfast I usually take a morning nap and feel so much better once I wake up. I'll walk around the house, watch Netflix, nap, eat, repeat. It's real exciting stuff around here. I feel like I am a toddler. Everyone is happy for me when I eat, walk, nap and poop. If only it can always be like that :)

The swelling in my stomach has gone down a ton and it's not as lumpy! I have lost all the weight I gained (PRAISE THE HEAVENS) just like doctors have said. I know that I should not have been as concerned about that as I was, but sorry I was. That really was hard for me and even though everyone said "oh don't worry about it" "it's fine, it'll come off" Gaining 10 pounds in 2 days is not an easy pill to swallow. I actually weighed myself the morning after I got home and I had gained another pound. It was just hard. I felt out of sorts and no one ever likes to see the scale go up. So, I'm thankful the doctors were right, but it doesn't always make it easier in the meantime. 

I still haven't needed any pain meds and I think I am in the clear with needing them. Yesterday we spent most of the afternoon in my sister's backyard because the weather was beautiful. The fresh air felt so good.

Another weird thing I was never really told about is, breathing. After surgery it was hard to take a breath, like a good deep breath. It is this crazy sensation of just not being able to fully fill your lungs, yet you are trying and giving it your all. Each day my breathing has gotten better and I am able to take deeper breathes. 

At this point I guess no news, is good news! Just gaining my strength back, resting and taking it easy. It's still a weird feeling to feel your insides move around when you sit up. It's so hard to describe but it's weird. 

I know that I am only 5 days post surgery but looking back it honestly has not been bad at all. The hardest part was that second day in the hospital when I was just so emotional. I feel incredibly lucky for this surgery and recovery to have gone as smoothly has it has. I know that most donor surgeries do not go this well or smoothly and I feel really blessed to have a healthy body.



Comments

  1. Thank you so much for your blog! My father, who lives in Nampa, is in the process of testing for University of Utah Hospital. The direct connection makes your words mean so much more, so thank you again and again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica! Thanks for your sweet comment. That's awesome about your dad, the U has been amazing every step of the way. Is there someone your dad is directly testing for? I'd love to connect, shoot me an email at mandarose321@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. I sent you an email last night from Jessica Gering. Hope you are healing well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts